What Can Goodwill’s YouthBuild AmeriCorps Program Do for You?
Goodwill’s YouthBuild AmeriCorps program* is a national pre-apprenticeship educational, leadership, development and occupational skills-training program for disadvantaged and at-risk youth ages 16-24. This community-based pre-apprenticeship program provides job training and educational opportunities for youth who previously dropped out of high school.
In YouthBuild, youth learn vocational skills in construction and provide community service through the required construction or rehabilitation of affordable housing for low-income or homeless families in their own communities. Youth split their time between the vocational training work site and the classroom, where they earn their high school diploma or equivalency degree, learn to become community leaders, and prepare for post-secondary training opportunities, including college, apprenticeships and employment. YouthBuild includes significant support systems, such as mentoring, follow-up education, employment and personal counseling services; participation in community service; and civic engagement.
Goodwill Omaha’s YouthBuild AmeriCorps program offers the following:
- Paid construction training
– Learn construction skills while working on projects with Habitat for Humanity, the Abide Network and other Omaha organizations
- Paid education and learning
– Prepare for GED testing with subject-material and practice tests
– Gain certification in homebuilding, first aid and OSHA while you learn
- Leadership training
– Develop the skills that make you valuable to employers
– Become a leader in your community through service projects
- Ongoing support
– Benefit from the shared growth you’ll discover in your YouthBuild AmeriCorps program class
– Continue to receive support from YouthBuild AmeriCorps program staff after graduation
WHO WE SERVE:
- Young people (ages 16 to 24) in the Omaha area who are underemployed or do not have a high school diploma
- Individuals willing to commit to nine months of training and development
- Those interested in learning construction and helping to build/repair houses for low-income families
YouthBuild AmeriCorps is a proud partner of the American Job Center Network. Goodwill’s YouthBuild AmeriCorps program is funded in part by the U.S. Department of Labor in the amount of $895,437, or 75% of total program costs. Goodwill and other nonfederal support funds $223,859, or 25% of program costs.
Does Goodwill’s YouthBuild AmeriCorps sound like the program for you? Complete the application below today!