- Speak clearly – Make sure to be professional but also show some of your personality while highlighting yourself.
- Be engaged in the conversation– Being able to answer the interviewee’s questions in one thing but showing genuine interest shows that you are able to be attentive.
- Stay positive – When answering questions about your previous employer keep the message positive.
- Match skillsets – Market your skill set to match what the employer is looking for in the position and how you can be an asset to the organization.
- Know the company – Researching the company before an interview is important. The employer might ask you what you know about the organization or to describe what they do.
- Be early – The goal is to arrive 10-15 mins before your interview. This allows you enough time to get settled and mentally prepare for the interview.
- Be professional – Look presentable, carrying a folder or portfolio. It should contain a notepad, pen and even some pre written out questions that you may have about the position.
- Be prepared – It’s important to have extra copies of your resume on hand. Some interviewers might not have a copy of your resume or might just have the copy that you filled out when you applied for the position.
- Ask about follow up – When do they plan on hiring for this position? State how long of a notice you would have to give your current employer.
- Be personal – Send a hand written thank you note or email to the employer thanking them for taking the time to meet with you.
If you would like to get some additional practice on your interviewing skills, Goodwill’s READY services offers mock interviews. To set up a mock interview contact READY staff at (402) 231-1901 or by visiting our website at www.goodwillomaha.org
Every Friday – Open computer lab available from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. for job readiness assistance at our Goodwill Headquarters (4805 N. 72nd Street)